Why visit Azerbaijan
In a country as diverse as Azerbaijan, its essential experiences are as varied as they are tempting.
- Wander around Baku’s fascinating and atmospheric Old City, where you’ll encounter the Icheri Sheher fortress, the Maiden Tower, Shirvanshah’s Palace, the Sinik-Gala minaret, mosques, caravanserais and baths.
- Pay a visit to the Flame Towers, Baku’s iconic twin skyscrapers and watch them transformed into LED-lit architectural flames as darkness falls
- Having seen the fake flames, visit the real thing at Yanar Dag, the mountain where escaping natural gas ensures it keeps on burning
- Marvel at the clues to prehistoric lifestyles in the rock art at Gobustan National Park
- Haggle for a traditional knotted wool carpet to take home as a souvenir
- Take a trip to Neft Dashlar, which translates as Oily Rocks, a town built on stilts over the Caspian Sea
- Drink tea from a pear shaped glass known as an armuda sucked through jam or sugar lumps held between your teeth
- Grab a kutab from a street vendor and indulge in this deep-fried and utterly delicious meat stuffed pastry